Choosing a domain name is the first big step you can make when you are starting an online business. A domain name is one of the crucial parts of an online business. A domain name determines a lot when it comes to online business.
I know choosing a domain name is not an easy job, which is why I decided to give you some tips to choosing a domain name.
- Make it easy to spell and pronounce. Your domain should be super easy to spell and pronounce. If your domain name is difficult to spell, you tend losing potential traffic.
- Avoid hyphens and numbers. Don’t add hyphens and numbers to your domain name. Apart from the fact that hyphens and numbers make a domain name hard to spell, hyphens could also be a sign of spam. And you don’t want to give visitors a wrong impression about your website.
If you choose a domain name with hyphens because the domain name you want is not available, visitors will still end up at your competitor’s website because they forgot to put in the hyphens.
- Keep it concise. Longer domains are easier to forget. I would advise you to keep your domain name under 15 characters. If your domain name is too long, customers will mostly make mistakes while typing and it could land them to another website. That is why it is a very reasonable idea to keep your domain name concise.
- Stick with .com. There are so many domain extensions available out there, but I would advise you to go with the .com domain extension instead of the .net, .org, .pizza, .blog and .photography. It is better to go with the .com extension because it is widely used and it is more recognized than other domain extensions. Apart from that, the .com domains are more memorable. Most users would type “.com” on the end of every domain with thinking twice.
For example, if your website is sweetclass.pizza, your users might mistype sweetclass.com, and it would lead them to another website entirely.
- Use Keywords. Keywords are essential in a domain name. Adding keywords in your domain name, you get higher rankings in search engines. When your website has good user experience and quality content, keywords can help you rank high in search engines.
— Sun Dew Solutions PL (@SunDewSolutions) 19 de mayo de 2017